Tuesday 26 November 2013

Turning Corners


Have you ever turned a corner, hoping for a nice sharp turn,



but the machine misses a stitch on the turn so the corner is chopped off?

This is what was happening on my last but one project when I was doing a bit of quilting with the Singer 15K hand machine.  I knew there had to be a way of avoiding it, and I have finally worked out how...

When the needle goes into the fabric, before lifting the foot and turning the work, make sure that the needle is still on the way down.  Then once the work is turned and the foot is back down, let the needle complete its downward journey and form the stitch.  So far as I can fathom it out, if the needle is so far down that it is already in the process of forming the stitch when the work is turned, the threads can slip out of place underneath the bobbin plate and the stitch fail.

I won't tell you how long it has taken me to solve that problem.  Too embarrassing.

Welcome to new followers Pippirose, Anna McCurdy, Debbie, Hueisei Ong, Beth, and Alida P - thank you for joining!

Thanks again to everyone who has commented on the Tea Time Give Away.  Time is running out...  midnight tonight GMT... so if you live in the Western hemisphere, don't get caught out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...