Sunday 16 February 2014

A Pretty Picture for Sunday - Wall Screw Moss on the Bridge


This moss is about an inch tall, growing on the stone parapet of a bridge over the railway.

I have to confess I almost didn't do a pretty picture for this Sunday.  The overall picture here is mud, and we count ourselves lucky.  I cannot remember so much flooding in so many different parts of the country coming at the same time as such terrifying storms on the coast.  But I got out for a walk yesterday, the sun actually shone for a short while, and there was beauty to be found after all.

I have done a quick internet search and found that this moss is tortula muralis or wall screw moss - at first sight a strange name, but very appropriate, as illustrated on this fascinating blog, Cabinet of Curiosities.

Welcome to JoAnne and Webster, the latest followers - thank you for joining!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...