Friday 7 February 2014

A Welsh Leek


Today's excitement was a trip to Radstock Museum to visit the Patchwork and Quilting Exhibition organised by Midsomer Quilting.  It was nice to see my Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt on display again, and I thought this was the most appropriate panel to feature today - it will soon be St. David's Day, when no self-respecting Welshman is seen without a daffodil (for the sophisticated types) or a leek (for the true rustics) in his buttonhole.  The quilt took about eight months to make, and I was truly grateful to the Welsh for having such an easy symbol to convert into appliqué.  It was quick to do, in sharp contrast to the Scottish thistle.  And it tastes better too.

When making this quilt I took Leah Day's advice to heart - when learning free motion quilting, try doing a whole quilt in just one design.  By the time I had finished this quilt I certainly had the hang of meandering.

Of course, you can't go to an exhibition without taking a few pictures...



... and this beautiful quilt by Kathryn Chambers really catches the eye.  A little girl and her dog walking down a country lane in the summer sunlight, perfectly captured in fabric.  Stunning work.

Linking up today to Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.

6 comments:

  1. I love the leek quilt! One design on a quilt--I must have missed that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance I thought it was a palm tree, but now I can clearly see it is a leek. I love it! You do wonderful work and your Queen's Jubilee quilt is amazing! Congratulations on the much deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My daughter thought it was a palm tree when I was drawing the pattern. I got a leek from the kitchen and found that I had drawn it actual size - a nice big fat one. An actual size palm tree could be a bit tricky though.

      Delete
  3. Being Welsh I just love this quilt!

    It reminds of St David's day assemblys at school - all the girls were wearing daffodils and the boys leeks - with the boys munching a few of the leaves and the whole assembly hall smelling of leeks! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a laugh! I love leeks, but being a conventional type I prefer them cooked.

      Delete
    2. Muv, beautiful work, as always. (I was already hungry, and then I saw the leek...supper can't come soon enough!) And I learned something new--St. David's day, and the traditions attached to it. Love it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...