Thursday 22 January 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 28 - A Cot Quilt In The Making


To kick start my sewing projects for the year I decided doing a cot quilt was the only way to get going.  The top was easy to put together because I had some strips already assembled, left over from previous ones.

This time I have tried to get away from my usual meandering quilting and have done swirls. Much as I love the end product, I don't really enjoy doing the quilting on these scrappy quilts because I can't see where I am going.  I thought swirls would be easier to keep track of than meanders, but now I'm not so sure.  Also, I'm not over-thrilled with the look of the swirls on the front.




If anything, they look better on the back.  And the whole thing will look better once the binding is on - it's always the way.

Enough moaning.  It's the January effect.


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg


Here goes for week 28...

Many thanks to MaartjeHilary, GwynedJudyQuilting Reader's Garden,  Barbara, and Claire for linking up last time.  

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

Or, because it is still January, link up to show your favourite FMQ project finished in 2014.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand and France have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Welcome to Marena White, the latest follower - thank you for joining!

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to have something to enter for your little party. It has been a while! I think your quilt is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dora. I finished binding it today, and I like it much better now than I did yesterday!

      Delete
  2. I am almost -- but not quite -- done with a new FMQ project lol. I just have to finish the pesky binding. I am a bit over half way now. Hopefully it will be done in time to post before the links are closed lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binding is such a bind. Looking forward to seeing your project!

      Delete
  3. Lizzie said, I can't see where I am going" - nothing says you can't quilt from the back. Then you can see better. I like your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give it a go. I spent ages yesterday trying to work out how to do it without wasting too much from the edges of the top if I quilt it from the bottom... if that makes sense.

      Delete
  4. For not being able to see where you were going very well, you managed to get very consistent swirls. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda. Now it is finished I am so much happier - first finish of the year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...