Thursday 12 November 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 69 - Cushion Cover


Have you ever had the feeling that you have inadvertently made a fancy truss?  Or a bodice for the woman with the cylindrical figure? 

This is the quilted panel that I started last week, cut to size, bound at one end and with a buttonhole band stitched to the other.  It was a great excuse to play with one of my favourite gadgets, the buttonholer.



And here it is transformed into a cushion cover.  I used up fat quarters that I originally intended to use for bindings, but the fabric was a touch thick and frayed too readily.  Brown isn't a colour that looks particularly marvellous in our house, but I know someone who loves brown, and it will be just right for her settee.

There was no real plan for the arrangement of the bands of colour or the free motion quilting.  I decided to see how it looked once quilted, and then I settled on how to fold it.  In the end I went for a symmetrical look on the front... 



... and all the pale grey-brown went to the back.  The pieced buttonhole band was made from an offcut from the main pieced panel, and the three dark brown buttons I found lurking in an old button tin in a charity shop.  I think I prefer the back to the front.


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg


Here goes for week 69...

The project in Week 68 that really caught my eye was LeeAnna's demonstration piece, a free motion quilted sketch made with paint sticks. So colourful!  (Especially after working with brown.)  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more photos.




If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.


Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

11 comments:

  1. I think you've made a very beautiful gift. Your quilting is certainly what makes this pillow special. I love the back.
    You've done a great job of turning a bodice into a cushion... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by this, but I'm not sure how it went from "truss" to pillow cover. Did you sew seams in the top and bottom or is it folded in some way that I'm not getting? I really like the idea of using a button band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello JanineMarie,

      Nothing too complicated is going on. It is the same way up in all the pictures, so it has two vertical folds, and is sewn across the top and the bottom, with an overlap (or should I say underlap?) for the buttons. It is much quicker and easier than doing seams all the way round the cushion.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  3. Muv, the cushion cover is gorgeous. I love how you busted through the strips with the FMQ. As for your liking the back best, I get that. There is something aesthetically pleasing about an off center look and the buttons give a focal point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwyned! Sending the main stems back and forth over the seams is my way of making sure they are well battened down.

      Delete
  4. Oh that's so pretty, and yay for turning it into such a lovely present :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an elegant cushion! It would look lovely in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting on that pillow cover is gorgeous - I love it!!! I also love the idea of using buttons to close the pillow. It looks very smart. How much overlap did you use? (P.S. Who says that is the back? It would be reversible here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! There is a 2 inch overlap for the buttons. I think of that side as the back because it might not be so comfortable leaning on that side.

      Delete
  7. This is soooooooo smart looking and pretty! Coming up for air here to read a few of my favorite blogs. Hoping to get back in the groove soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...